A big heat wave has hit Finland lately and it’s been quite hot for the last couple of weeks. That got me wondering about energy usage of the A/C.
Quite often we are hanging out on our terrace and the backdoor is open. However, I don’t want to cool the outdoor air and waste energy for that. That got me an idea, how about shutting down the A/C unit when the door is open and continue cooling when the door is closed again?
Oh, and of course it should work also on winter when heating is on. I don’t want to heat the outdoor air either 🙂
For this automation only two components are required: A/C unit that can be controlled through Home Assistant and a magnetic door sensor.
The automation logic is pretty simple:
When the door opens:
- If backdoor state is changed from ‘off’ to ‘on’ for 3 minutes (I don’t want to turn off the A/C immediately if someone is just visiting the terrace and closing the door immediately)
- If A/C unit state is something else than ‘None’
- Take a snapshot scene of A/C unit
- Turn off the A/C unit
When the door closes:
- Restore the scene that was previously stored.
Bonus: Ready made automations
Here are the automation scripts I wrote. Of course, you need to modify those at least with your entity ids.
- id: '1625563681954' alias: 'Climate: Turn off A/C when back door is open' description: 'Turn off A/C when back door is open' trigger: - platform: state entity_id: binary_sensor.door_sensor_terrace from: 'off' to: 'on' for: 00:03:00 condition:  action: - service: scene.create data: snapshot_entities: climate.heat_pump scene_id: heat_pump_previous_state - service: climate.set_hvac_mode target: entity_id: climate.heat_pump data: hvac_mode: 'off' mode: single - id: '1625563856240' alias: 'Climate: Restore A/C when backdoor is closed' description: 'Restore A/C when backdoor is closed' trigger: - platform: state entity_id: binary_sensor.door_sensor_terrace from: 'on' to: 'off' condition:  action: - scene: scene.heat_pump_previous_state mode: single